Friday, September 7, 2007

The First Day of School....I am suddenly very home sick







Oh- the home-sick bug has finally hit me. Things were going so well up here in good ole' New Jersey....everyone is so friendly, the weather is nice, and we are having fun.....that is, up until Alli started Kindergarten. Alli's first day of school was yesterday. Prior to Alli starting school, we had decided that Alli would take the bus to and from school. Taking the bus is what everyone does here. When I went to register Alli, I swear the ladies in the office looked at me funny when I said I would be taking her and picking her up. Her school only goes up to 1st grade so there are not any big kids on the bus. And they do not have a carpool line! You have to get out of your car to walk her in and pick her up. So anyways, since her school did not have a 'Meet the Teacher' night, I wanted to take her to school so I could meet her teacher. Thursday finally gets here and Alli is very excited. She tells me she is most excited about taking the bus home. So we talked about her taking the bus and how I would always be at the bus stop waiting for her. Pete was in a meeting in PA, but he was able to leave for Alli's big day. So we all head out the door to her school. We left a little early so we would have plenty of time to get her settled in her new classroom and time to talk to the teacher. We are super disappointed when we get there and they tell us that we cannot walk her back to the classroom and we cannot meet the teacher. She is to be walked to her classroom by one of the teacher's aids. And we can meet the teacher at Back to School night on Monday. So I am frustrated, but Alli is ok. She is still excited. She walks off waving goodbye and smiling. I am happy that she did such a good job, but still just completely frustrated with the whole thing. I know schools have these policies for security reasons, but come on! This is the first day! The worst part was picking her up at the bus stop. I had my camera ready to snap some photos of her coming off the bus. I see her through the window and wave. And then the doors open and I hear her. She is crying hysterically! Alli was confused about me waiting for her at the bus stop. She thought that I was going to be at the school to watch her get on the bus. And then while on the bus, she said she did not think the bus was going the right way. The bus driver said she was "very upset and has been crying the whole time." OH- THE HEART ACHE! I have a hard time staying calm. I know it is not the thing to do as a mom, but I can't help it- I am emotional. So Alli and I are both sobbing! My heart hurts now just thinking about my poor sweet girl thinking she was on the wrong bus and how scared she must have been. So of course, we took her to school today and picked her up. Pete was home from his meeting so he is the one that actually took her. He went into the office to let them know that Alli would not be taking the bus and the ladies were rude to him! I don't want to go into detail about it, but it has not been a pleasant experience for us. I know things will get better. She has only gone two days. It is just so frustrating to me because I am hearing about all the great experiences all of you are having back in Texas! And seeing pictures of you in your child's classroom!!! But I am in New Jersey now and I will do as the New Jersians do......but I am not happy about it!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Oh I am so sorry Kimberly!! That really stinks! But it can only get better, right? I'm sure it will!

Rachael said...

I am so sad to hear that her 1st day wasn't off to a perfect start. That must have been really hard for you both :(

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I am so sorry Kimberly...we are not allowed to go to the classroom in Nevada either...only if we volunteer and I can't do that with Julia too!! :) This too, shall pass... :(

Jennifer said...

Tears are welling up in my eyes! I couldn't have handled that. There is no way, NO WAY, I would have done as well as you have! Hang in there. It will all work out.

Karen said...

Kimberly,
I am so sorry that you and Alli had a difficult first day. Hopefully by now school is a little easier for both of you. I'll be praying for you all.
Karen :)