Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

IMG_7341 (Isn't Maddie the cutest!?!)

 

It really has not been hot enough up here to call it "the dog days of summer", but our days have been quite mundane. We are lacking in excitement around here. But sometimes that is a good thing!

Since the weather has been so nice, the girls and I have been spending a lot of time outdoors. We have a lot to do right in our own back yard.

Kate and Tori swing.

IMG_7237 IMG_7238

Alli climbs the monkey bars.

IMG_7242

And she catches butterflies.

IMG_7251

She is really good at catching them. She keeps them in her little bug box for a little bit. And then, reluctantly, she lets them go.

They all pick raspberries.

IMG_7244

IMG_7246

We have a ton of raspberry bushes in our yard. They are yummy!

We look for weird bugs.

IMG_7243 IMG_7250

We feed the fish.

IMG_7276

Next week Alli will go back to school. And the the following week Tori will start preschool. This is Alli's first year of all day school and Tori's first year of preschool. She will go to school two days a week. I am glad to be getting back on a schedule and routine, but I will miss my girls! And I am sure after about a month of running around to gymnastics, ballet and soccer practice, I will be wishing for those mundane days with nothing to do!

Oh- Mr. Bear has shown up around the hood a couple of more times. I had actually just started running with a neighbor and the day before we were scheduled to run the bear was in our neighborhood. My neighbor was like, "It will be fine. I have been running for a long time and nothing has ever happened." I gave in and went for a run with her the next day. I prayed before we ran that we would not run into Mr. Bear. So as we are about halfway into our run, a truck that was coming towards us slows down and then stops. The gentleman rolls down the window and tells us that we probably don't want to go any further because he just saw a bear down the road! Thank you Lord for sending this man to keep me from having a heart attack!! Seriously, I don't know what I would have done if I would have seen that bear! Could you imagine? I know some people think it is silly to let a bear keep me from running outside. They say the bear is scared of you and doesn't want anything to do with you. But this momma is not taking any chances. My neighbor and I made it back home in record time that day! Our running relationship was short lived......maybe we'll start up again when Mr. Bear is hibernating.

3 comments:

Within Connolly's Kingdom said...

I know how you feel - did I tell you about my friend who lives in Tahoe and told me a mother bear and cub raided her fridge while she was gone! She was like, "It was my fault - my neighbor saw them enter and I shouldn't have left the screen open - and anyone knows you NEVER mess with a mother bear and cub." I was in SHOCK she was so calm - she was apologizing for not having a certain salad dressing at our potluck book club - because the bears ATE IT earlier that day!! HAHAHAHA - I may have already told you that - Anyway Jack made it through the first all day - but I will say - it took a WEEK for him to acclimate - a few meltdowns - he was just tired - even getting to bed at 7:30 - still tired...so don't let that panic you if that happens - after two weeks now - he is back to normal! :) Have fun!

Jennifer said...

That is the life!! What wonderful memories you are making. Don't blame you one bit about the bear. I would have done the same thing. I'm always such a chicken when we are in Colorado! I can't imagine living amongst them on a daily basis. I'd keep to running on the treadmill for a few more months!!!

Allie will do find in full day school. I'm sure she will be EXHAUSTED for the first week or so but she will bounce right back.

Didi said...

Looks like y'all have been having fun! Great pic of you and your hunny on the left!